First Sight of America

First Sight of America

The First Meeting

Dear Journal,

The day of the first Meeting was perhaps the worst day yet. Mathew’s wrath descended on my head, and I had to attend two Meetings. First, my clothes were not acceptable to Mathew, so he shouted at me. Then, I objected to going to Meeting because my grandfather and I seldom attended them, and what an uproar I caused! They informed me that in his household, I would go to Meeting like a God-fearing woman. So we trudged along the long, narrow road to Meeting. And the town! How small it was! It only had a pillory, a whipping post, stocks and the Meeting House.

After the long, monotonous sermon, I saw William Ashby outside. His eyes seemed fixed on me. On the walk home, Judith pointed this out. She also told me that there was a second Meeting that day. Two Meetings! The second sermon was much like the first. It was unbearable! I was so glad when the day was done.